Venice in Memory

Thursday, May 21, 2015


It is Thursday, so I am in the mood for a throwback Thursday post. 

So far in my semi-short life time, I've moved three times to another country. 
The first time was going to Seattle. Second was moving back to Taipei. Third was moving here to Belgium not so long ago. In between, I took a study abroad program to Venice for the last quarter at the University. 

Everytime I moved somewhere, I had to start new from getting used to the environment to making new friends. 
Since I left my comfort zone behind, having homesick or unease feeling was always unavoidable at first. 



Funny thing was I did not think too much when I applied for study abroad to Venice.
 All I thought about was "Venice sounds pretty and fun!" 
I forgot to take everything into account: 
1. Driving in Venice as a transport is not an option. One either takes the boat or goes to places by foot
2. English communication skills are limited among local Venetians
3. Geographic setting and small roads are somehow confusing for a person like me without good sense of directions or who have not seen a real map other than Google maps for a while

Normally people go on vacation in Venice for three or five days. Living there for three months was incredibly fun, but also quite a challenge at first. 

Before we arrived, our professor asked us to send pictures of ourselves and arrival time, so that he can pick us up at the main boat station. 
Overwhelmed by everything I had to prepare plus graduation, I didn't think twice but submitted my Facebook profile picture at the time as below with me wearing a huge sunglasses covering half of my face. Haha...
Thank god two Asian ladies stopped me asking for directions at the main station, so my professor spotted three Asians and therefore found me. Quiet an experience in the beginning already. Especially before Venice, I took a detour to see my friend Anya studying in Austria at the time and took a six-hour bus to Graz to Venice. I was already exhausted and super jetlagged by the time I arrived.





Every morning my roommates and I took the "vaporatto" aka boat bus to class. 
It was a fun experience since I still felt like I was on the boat floating wherever I went for at least two weeks in the beginning. 



My lovely roommates with our very first meal made together. "Typical" pasta with meat sauce was proudly served. And we lived on the giant bottle of wine for 5 euros per bottle the whole summer. 


For economical and technical reasons, pasta with meat sauce became an usual choice for dinner. 
Going to restaurants in Venice is expensive since it is a touristy destination. 
On the other hand, cooking was a more reasonable option for our wallets.  



Seriously I was madly in love and amazed with every corner like this in Venice. 
It was really artistic and cute everywhere. 
I felt like I was living in a painting. 



The sunset was always breathtaking accompanying by its reflection on the water.
How can you not love this?


Chilling at the famous San Marco square with a tini shot of espresso. 
We all lived on their croissants and espresso that summer behaving like real Venetians.
I remember my roommates and I were talking about buying an apartment there because we loved it so much that summer. 



Hey let's not forget that it was a study abroad program, so we literally walked through the entire Venice to visit all the galleries and medival churches. 



This is an unforgettable sunrise next to the apartment we stayed at. 


Traveling to me is a way to get out of my comfort zone, put down what I believe how things work for a moment in order to  absorb new perspectives. 
I was distanced from the life in Seattle for three months, but it made me appreciate more what I had in my daily life. 
I tend to forget I shouldn't take everything for granted until stepping back during a trip or moving to another country. 
During the trip, I had time for myself to reevaluate what I really wanted and was able to recharge and redirect the future plan. 
However, it was definitely fun to learn new skills and mingle with different people. You might not meet those people in your old life, but everyone becomes more accepting on a trip. This open attitude makes travellers discover new things. 
I hope everyone has a Venice-like memory or experience in life. 
If you haven't tried it or feel stuck in your daily routine, it's time to go out there and get lost for a month or two. 
You might think differently (in a good way) at the end of your journey. 



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. If you ever made it to Rome, Italy and looking for an amazing guided tour,
check out Affordable Rome Italy.com . My previous professor Douglas Merell gives awesome guided tour with fun stories.


Ciao! 
<3

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram